Australia pledges $10m to Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan
AUSTRALIA will give the Philippines $10 million in aid to help the country recover from the devastation of Typhoon Haiyan, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said today.
Ms Bishop announced the funding after Prime Minister Tony Abbott promised $400,000 for immediate help in the form of supplies like mosquito nets and sleeping mats.
The aid package will include $3 million for Australian non-government organisations working in The Philippines and $4 million to the United Nation's Flash appeal.
It will also send a disaster management team to the country to help with recovery efforts, and give the Red Cross $1 million for their work.
The grant was announced as the typhoon hit the Vietnamese coast, with fears the 10,000 already reported dead would continue to rise across Asia.
Authorities in The Philippines have already reported at least 10,000 dead, with an estimated 600,000 people forced to flee their homes and up to 9.5 million affected across the country.
While some have criticised a minimal amount of aid so far provided, Ms Bishop said the Philippines had "greatly appreciated" the aid from Australia.
She said the Department of Foreign Affairs was also helping an Australian family after a 49-year-old Australian man was killed during the typhoon.
The department has also received "a number" of phone calls through consular assistance, she said, and called on concerned Australians to get in touch with family.
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman on Monday also announced the state would provide an extra $1 million in aid to The Philippines.
He said the money would go to emergency assistance across the country, and said the state's 75-person urban search and rescue team was on standby to help, should they be needed.
Ms Bishop said if Australians could not directly contact their family, they could call the department for consular help on 1300 555 135.
Article Credit Warwickdailynews